Welcome to my curly hair journey! In this post I’ll explain the Bowl Method and Plopping and how to style curly hair.
Bowl Method and Plopping- How to style curly hair
The bowl method? Plopping? I had no idea these methods of enhancing curls even existed up until a couple of months ago! I had my hair long and curly when I was MUCH younger, but since I’ve been growing out my hair from a short pixie cut over the last year, and embracing my curly hair- I’ve been discovering all kinds of new (for me) curly girl techniques!
Keep in touch with Kerry-Lou on Instagram and Facebook @silverstylestudio
The Bowl Method
The bowl method is a way of conditioning and hydrating curly hair after you’ve shampooed it and before you style it. Below is a step by step guide on the Bowl Method and Plopping and how to style curly hair.
- In the shower I used shampoo and conditioner. Don’t rinse out the conditioner. Hair should be very wet with water and conditioner.
- Apply about a tablespoon of leave in conditioner. Squish that into hair.
- Grab a plastic bowl and fill with about 3 inches of water. Put hair into the bowl with the water and squish the water into your hair with the conditioner. Rotate head to get the sides and back of the head. Keep dipping head into the conditioner water until it’s evenly distributed. This helps distribute the conditioner all over every strand of hair.
- Once the hair is all wet and the conditioner water is evenly distributed apply hair gel and squish that into your hair. If you have thin hair try not to get it too close to the root as this will separate hair and make it look thinner.
- Dunk hair back into the bowl and squish with the water.
- Apply a bit more gel and you’re ready to plop!
Plopping for Curly Hair
- Lay out a men’s size small or medium tee shirt or long sleeve shirt with the arms away from you and the bottom of the shirt toward you.
- Imagine the shirt into thirds. I’m going to plop my hair onto the middle third of the shirt. This will press my curls upward so they are going to stay nice and bouncy as my hair dries. Essentially, the shirt is scrunching your hair the entire time it dries.
- If your hair has dried a bit you can re mist it. Roll up the bottom of the shirt and make sure it rests on the forehead otherwise if it’s on the hair it will flatten your hair. Continue to wrap the shirt around your head so it’s secure but hair is not being pushed down.
- You can wear this as long as you’d like! Sometimes I’ll wear this for 30 mins and other times I’ll wear for 2-3 hours.
- After you remove the shirt you can let it air dry or blow dry with a diffuser.
Products I used in this video:
Odele Leave-in Conditioner
Not Your Mother’s Curl Talk Gel
Hanes men’s long sleeved T-shirt
Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
Black Orchid Diffuser
If your hair is thin, you may like Toppik
Makeup I’m Wearing:
Kerry-Lou Makeup Brushes– A brush set that is lovingly designed by me based on the most useful brushes that I have used for over 4 decades as a professional makeup artist.
Foundation: Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation ~ Texel
Concealer: Ilia True Skin Serum Concealer ~ Chicory
Blush: Ilia Color Haze ~ Temptation
Highlight: Ilia Liquid Light ~ Atomic
Powder: Ilia Soft Focus Finishing Powder ~ Fade Into You
Bronzer: Ilia Nitelite Bronzing Powder ~ Drawn-in
Eyes: Ilia Liquid Powder Chromatic Eye Tint ~ Dim
Eyeshadow: Ilia The Necessary Eyeshadow Palette ~ Cool Nude
Brows: Ilia Essential Brow ~ Blonde
Eyeliner: Ilia Clean Line Gel Liner ~ Twilight
Eyelash Curler: Shu Uemura Lash Curler
Mascara: Ilia Unlimited Lash Mascara ~ After Midnight
Lip Color: Bobbi Brown Uber Pink
Lip Pencil: Kevyn Aucoin ~ Minimalist
Blouse – Johnny Was
Pants – Artful Home
Earings Kendra Scott
Bracelet Artizan Joyeria Promo code – KERRYLOU10
Peonies Floral Arrangement
Business inquiries – [email protected]
All rights Reserved @ 2021 Silver Style Studio, LLC
This video is Unsponsored The above links are affiliate links, I do make a commission if you choose to purchase products using them, which help defray the cost of making these videos. There is no obligation to make a purchase, but if you choose to do so – thank you very much for your support!